As participants in a culture which functions on the basis of shared meanings and common understandings, we are able to 'read' the world around us as a system of signs.
A piece of work that I found inspiring using the concept of semiotics is the IBM logo designed by Paul Rand.
I like how it uses symbols to create the letters of the name. I found that it was a clear and easy to read sign on semiotics and I feel that by looking at this I can easily transfer it to all the signs around me in day-to-day life. The image of the eye is said the same way you say the word 'I' and the same with the image of the bee which is said like the letter 'b'. I feel though that this logo also has a deeper meaning to the symbols that have been used than just by how you say them. The eye could represent seeing the future and how the company are looking into the future to grow further and become an up to date company that you could rely on. The bee could symbolise the flight of the company and how they are still excelling higher and developing the company to the best of its abilities. I feel that this is a great way to represent semiotics and I can use the ideas within this design to my own ideas and work.
